Click on the image above to visit the Jean Augustine Chair in Education in the New Urban Environment website

Monday, August 13, 2012

In Love with writing and Obsessed with organizing

Writing has always been part of me. I am very passionate about it. I love exploring the meaning and origins of words. Growing up I used to immerse myself in books which earned me the name "bookworm" I had my own challenges due to my trilingualism. My journey with those three languages has been a roller coaster. I started of with German but when I moved to Ghana at the age of four, I completely forgot how to speak the language. Some years later when I returned to Germany, I was speaking two Ghanaian languages and English. In the course of re-learning German, I lost one of the Ghanaian languages. My first attempts in writing were mostly in English with a few works in German but I quickly realized that English was the language I felt most comfortable with. I must admit that there is a therapeutic occurrence woven in my writing process but generally speaking I write with the intention to share my experiences, observations and insights with others as a way to elucidate and capacitate. Strangely enough or maybe not, I don't like to present my works in front of a large audience. Public speaking is certainly not my strength. I am capable of handling a small group. In a way I'm critical of the modern/21st century approach to publicizing literature. I might share some of my personal thoughts on the productization of authors at a later point.

Then I have this other obsession, my second love, which is organizing. I utterly detest chaos! A lot of people appear to be irritated with my fixation to arrange things and create order. The truth is I simply cannot help it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your contribution Cynthia! You passion for languages is beautiful.You are very lucky to have 3 languages, that means you can read even more and better understand different cultures in their mother tongue. As for writing, I think that sometimes it is a private act and when it's ready to come out in the world-it will!

    Your necessity for an organized world would be a welcome addition to many offices filled with loose papers, wandering pens, printer cartridges and stray essays...

    ReplyDelete