Click on the image above to visit the Jean Augustine Chair in Education in the New Urban Environment website

Friday, August 3, 2012

Passionately Creative

The arts have always been a part of my life—I grew up in a household that was full of music wafting through the halls. My parents loved music and it drifted into me as well. As a child crayons were my favourite drawing tools. As a teenager, I learned to paint with all of the glorious colours of the rainbow and in university I discovered the wonders of ceramics. Through all of these artistic forms, music was an integral part of my inspiration and creativity. And although I was not a musician, I loved the rhythmic beats of reggae music; the lyrical cadence of rap and the intense guitar licks in alternative music.
Once I graduated from high school I was set to go to university for English Literature and Music theory, but then my grade 12 Visual Art teacher suggested I look into art schools. She saw a spark in me, and believed in my talents. Since then (approx. 20 years ago), I have been studying, practicing and teaching about art. It is not an easy journey, but I continue because I love what I do! I feel blessed to have been given this talent and I could not imagine life without it.
What are you passionate about? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment